As we near the end of the year, we’d like to recap some of the new features and updates added to Instant Scan over the last few months. Instant Scan was already the most powerful scanning tool available, allowing users to analyze first- and third-party tag and analytics activity on any page. We have been working hard on our mission to further catalog tags across the internet, growing our database to over 3,000 companies and 10,000+ tags to create the industry’s most comprehensive list of third-party technology. Read more>
Instant Scan and Audience Control
We have updated instant scan with a host of new features to help you get better insight into tag activity. New features like spidering allow you to scan a large number of pages in one go and combine the results into one diagram. You can now run a scan with adblocking enabled to see exactly which tags are being shutdown on the site. Want to test a new tag without having to touch the page? We now support custom JS injection. Simply enter the tags URL or code and run a scan as if that tag was live on the page. No more worrying about who might be coming in with a new partner.
- New international scanning locations are now available. Many websites geo-target tags towards their local audience, and some countries have stricter rules regarding what is acceptable on a webpage. Using our new international scanning nodes you can now see what tags are loaded when a page is visited from a variety of diverse locations and ensure your international audience is getting the right experience. Our new nodes include: Tokyo, Japan; Sao Paulo, Brazil; and Toronto, Canada.
- Spidering allows you to scan multiple pages on a single domain at once without having to manually enter the URLs. Instant scan will automatically crawl pages across the given domain and run a scan on each one. The scans can then be combined into an overall view of the site, catching elusive tags that might not show up on every page view. Each page scan is also available to be viewed on its own to provide more granular detail. For more on spidering see here.
- We now offer the ability to clear or retain the browser cache, cookies and local storage between scans. If you prefer to treat each scan as a visit from a new user you can clear everything. Alternatively you can choose to preserve cookies to view the page as a returning or known user, or keep the browser cache to see how page speed is affected. This can be used when spidering to treat each view as a new user. It also lets users simulate the effect of how programmatic interacts with multiple page views.
- Want to know what partners a new tag would bring in without having to go live with it? With our custom code injection you can simply specify a tag via URL or enter custom code and run a scan as if the tag was already on the page. See the scans results without ever having to touch any code on the page. We support running the injected tags synchronously or asynchronously to ensure you have the desired result. For more information on scanning with custom JS see here, and for a sample script using custom JS to block specific tags see here.
- Adblocking: Many publishers and brand marketers are concerned about the rise in adblocking use. We now support the ability to run an instant scan using AdBlock Plus, the most common adblocker, to see exactly what the effects are on the page. Compare blocked and unblocked scans to see exactly what tags are being shutdown on the site.
The same page after adblocking is turned on. First-party tags remain, as well as some analytics, but the long ad-tech chain has been vastly reduced.
As well we have a host of performance improvements and bug fixes to keep the platform running smoothly.
Instant Scan is already the most powerful site scanner available, and these improvements help add even more to its capabilities. Our ever-growing database of 10,000+ code fragments can identify even the most obscure ad/marketing-tech companies, and provide over 100 metadata elements on each tag that occurs on the page. Use our visualizations to see parent-child relationships between tags or companies, or single-out the tags with the most chaining. Our quick start guide shows a full listing of all features.
For site operators who want to see every transaction, Mezzobit’s full Audience Value Platform enables scanning from the inside out, uncovering even more insights about how third-party data collectors interact with visitors.